Shit. It’s been a busy month (really?) since the last posting. So busy that I haven’t even had time to write. I had a post half written about a week after the “Suck of times” update, but by the time I got back to it, much more had happened. And here I sit, three weeks later, with even more. And yet, it still is not enough… we have so much more to do and (at the time of this writing), only 28 more days.
First, we moved the shed. It was being stored at our mother’s house. And when I say “stored” what I really mean is “piled up in the backyard.” Needless to say, our mom and her husband got sick of it quickly, and wanted it moved. The move (which was what the unfinished posting mentioned above was about) was an event in itself: 1) uncertainty about whether or not we had a Uhaul truck, 2) rain that broke just in time for us to get it picked up and delivered to the location, 3) the introduction of Rich to the rest of the crew (he won everyone’s hearts with a single, simple phrase: “emo porn”), and 4) Tyler’s overwhelming hunger taking over his mind and driving him to abandon all else in favor of Taco Bell.
THE CAMERA ARRIVED!!! It was a long, stressful wait, but Amazon.com came through and the new Panasonic GH-1 arrived. I was at work when Tyler told me. I did a dance of joy in my cubicle. Tyler made sweet love to the box it arrived in. And then he began to learn how to use it.
A couple weeks later, we returned to the scene of the crime in order to determine a very important item: how the hell we were going to reconstruct a shed from this mess of mismatched wood and a “hinge” (a word that Tyler and Stephan learned from the previous owner – it is country-speak for “window”). We used all of the high-tech tools in our arsenal: a camera and measuring tape. Some how we came up with a plan that involves some pliers, and a set of 30 weight ball bearings.
Immediately following the shed design pow-wow, Tyler, Max, and I began to walk the entire site and, using a GPS, map out all of the possible shooting areas, scene by scene, that would be involved at that location. 90 percent of the film takes place in the woods, and 80% of that will be in various spots on Rich’s land. It was a long shot, but the hope was to take the GPS coordinates and plug them into Google Earth and have a real map of where we would need to setup various sets. Amazingly, it was a genius idea and worked like a charm. I know… surprised me too.
Then there is the bigfoot suit. The mask is kick ass. But the body suit, so far, has been a mix of trial-n-success and trial-n-epic fail. Unfortunately, most of the success came early one during the initial proof-of-concept tests. Since then, it’s been a bit of a dry spell. And it is not anyone’s fault. It merely boils down to two things: resources and knowledge. We have no money, so we can do a full-body cast and mold a rubber suit. So, we are trying to go real old-school with it. Except that we have never done any kind of school, old or new. So, we are almost inventing it as we go, or borrowing bits and pieces from what we have gleaned from others. Sadly, the best we have at the moment is a killer teddy bear arm, and Leotardo – Man, Dancer, Beast.
In the next post, we’ll talk about Tyler’s aversion to storyboarding like a normal person, a web application that is everything thing I’ve been looking for in a filmmaking app and a woman, and our Roger Rabit-style coyote.