Director’s Journal #6

Wednesday, April 29th

Made the test latex mask using the new face mold of Jory. The cast looks like Jory. But we took a little bit of time mixing the ultracal before we poured it into the alginate mold. The alginate may have shrunk. And when I first examined the positive, I thought it looked like his eyes were smashed a little.

Got a call from Ryder, asking if we ever returned their truck. Apparently, it’s missing. Marvelous.

"I say this calls for action and now. Nip it in the bud. Nip it!"

"I say this calls for action and now. Nip it in the bud. Nip it!"

Thursday, April 30th

Pulled the latex mask off the stone positive and took it to work with me. It is kinda creepy looking. Looks like Jory if he started melting. After work, I stopped by Jory’s place and he tried the mask on. It looked good.

Tyler's two priorities.

Tyler's two priorities.

Everything lined up. I am worried about getting the area around his eyes to blend with his skin, but according to my 1980’s mask-making instructional VHS tape, it’s all good. I think we’re ready to sculpt.

Sunday, May 3rd

Went to a production meeting today. It was nice to finally go to one of these things without having to cast Jory’s face.

Rachel took more measurements for the Bigfoot costume. We now know the exact curvature of Jory’s asscheeks. Rachel plans on building the costume in two sections, a shirt and pants. Usually, this kind of thing would be a one-piece. I’m a little worried about that, but if it works, it’ll help keep Jory cool in that costume running around a forest in the summer – He’ll be able to do shots that are only waist high without his fur pants on and visa versa.

In an effort to save time, I had rewritten the climactic fight scene between our main character and the monster. I had concerns about the original ending and had spoken at great length with Dennis about how I thought the fight should go. After a major plot rewrite, I realized that I’d be fine with the original ending as long as my concerns were addressed. I thought the best way to address those concerns was to do it myself and present it to Dennis. I gave it to him and we talked about. He didn’t seem over enthused… or enthused at all. But he also didn’t have any negative feedback. Perhaps he is just soaking it in.

Reactionless bastard....

Reactionless bastard....

We talked about the rest of the script. The movie was designed so that, at a certain point, the only actors will be Dennis, Stephan, and Dennis’ son, Max. The reason is that family members are going to be much more manageable on a lengthy shoot. I learned on my very early films as a teenager that you can abuse your family members on movies and they’ll keep showing up. This is important. In talking with Dennis about the script, I found that the moment when only those three actors are left comes very late – around page 60. In the original script, it was around page 45. I told him to keep going, that we would look into it later. Don’t want to derail the progress.

"React, you slow writing sonuvabitch!"

"React, you slow writing sonuvabitch!"

Later that night, Dennis sent me the first 61 completed script pages. Now, I can take a look at it, decide if it needs to be cut down, and start making my shot list.

Monday, May 4th

Called Ryder again about their missing truck. They found it.

"A boob that's what I am, a boob!"

"A boob that's what I am, a boob!"

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s